Especially if you are NOT artistic…
Really, not artistic even in the slightest
Get ready for some fun and some really laughable moments! You probably are going to think that your pages will look Pinterest worthy, and if you’re anything like me… they won’t. At all. So in this post I am going to tell you (and show you) how to stick with it! I have and I truly think it has made a difference in my self esteem and being aware of things that are bothering me that I may not have noticed. It also has taught me to see things differently and in a more positive way! I love that!
For starters, you will need to either log into amazon or pop into staples. For this to truly be rewarding I suggest staples (or wherever you get your art supplies). Go browse around and find some fun deals and tools that will motivate you! Here is the list of things I got and knew I needed:
- Journal – specifically one that would fit in my bag! Also if you are doing more drawing than writing DO NOT get ruled lines or blank. I suggest the dotted ones unless you want some graph paper. Also make sure it will hold up in your bag! Hard cover is always great! Moleskine has a hidden folder in the back and has worked great for me!
- Washi tape!! – this is the best way to jazz up your bullet journal and add some color, but also to make it easier to find pages. I also tape some polaroids in mine when needed. Its great stuff and comes in all different colors and patterns! Who doesn’t love that?!
- Sticky tabs – so you can divide months, weeks, days, years, or mark special pages you want to go back to. Whatever your heart desires. Yes these can be cute (mine are polka dots) and removable!
- Highlighters – grab your fav assorted color highlighters!
- Pens – colorful assorted pens please! Maybe one or two normal ones
- Pencil – one pencil (I’m sure you have one around the house somewhere, just make sure theres a good eraser – you’re going to need it)
- Markers – HIGHLY recommend Tombow dual tip (truly amazing and totally will step up your game)
- Whiteout tape – for those pesky mistakes (I use it all the time) so do not pass up on this, you will want it
- Index cards – this seems dumb, but I use them for bookmarks, rulers, and a pop of color! They also make great to do lists on your book mark
- Binder clips – attach, bind, divide, etc.
- Scissors – yes throw some of those in for trimming whatever you want to add in (pictures, clips)
Excessive. I know. Now how to get started… Either go at it and just start to get a feel for whatever you want to add and what you need in there. OR get some motivation from Pinterest. There are great examples of how other people set theirs up and how amazing it looks! Mine, not so much, but this helped me find the things I did want to put in there. Spending page, hydration tracker, sleep tracker, morning and night routine, songs I love, Netflix list, what makes me happy, things I want to try, and my goals for the month! There is so much more to add and it is so fun to find the right fit!
Make time every day to sit down with your bullet journal. 5-10 minutes minimum. It will end up being a lot longer than this if you take it seriously. If you make it part of your routine, it will feel natural and easier to commit to. It is your place to create something meaningful to YOU! I was worried about writing things down that were emotional or anything I didn’t want people to see, but I knew that people didn’t have to see those pages if I didn’t want them to, and it is also a great way to write down what is bothering you or something you need to get off your chest. Then its there to either move on from or go back to at an appropriate time when you’re ready.
Pastel and polka dot monthly tabs 🙂
My to do list makes me smile and is hard to miss (even when thrown in my bag)
New month, new pages! Basic here, but it gets the job done (and pink is my favorite color)
I like to number my pages to see how far I get in a month, or even a week.
A variety of colors and patterns, but also positive pages and even quotes will make a difference in your outlook. I am constantly thinking of new ways to make something basic or easy. Positive and motivating quotes are not just helpful, but as you are flipping through on another day and you come to one that may have pushed you out of your comfort zone or calmed you down during a hard time, this is a good reminder of the ups and downs. It truly does get better. If you had asked me about two months ago if things would get better I would have laughed in your face. I was going through a lot (which I still am), but putting energy into something that was all mine and that I created, made me see the good and bad. Soon enough 95% of my pages turned positive, instead of dwelling in the past. My outlook has evolved into something that has made me stronger, and to look for the good in every moment, not just getting caught up in the anger or hurt.
This is your life, do what YOU want. Live how YOU want to live. Do NOT let people dictate your future for you. Definitely do NOT get caught up in the past, you’re not going backwards. Time is constantly moving forward and it is YOUR turn to run with it (so long as you stop every once in a while to feel the sun on your cheeks and toes in the sand) 🙂
don’t stand in the current, ride the wave